Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Gas And Brass

This little lesson was picked up at the shooting range last fall during the Gun Blogger Rendezvous.  I hope the shooter who lit it off was wearing safety glasses.   This case is a .40 S&W, evidently fired off in a .45 Auto.  One of the topics I remember from my first gun safety class fifty years ago was matching the correct ammo to your firearm.  The instructor then told of the danger of blowing up a 12 gauge by blocking the barrel with a 20 gauge shell, but there are other combinations that can mess up your day or your guns.  A relative gave me an old 16 gauge single shot shotgun several years ago, and cautioned me that it would pop open if I shot it.  I checked it over and couldn't find any problems, then I sorted through the shells he gave me with the gun.  Mixed in with his 16 gauge shells were several 20 gauge shells, which wouldn't drop down the barrel as they would in a 12 gauge gun, but gas could sure blow back around them when they were fired.  He was lucky he still had both of his eyes.

I saw a comment on one of the gun forums that one of the reader/commenters was shooting .22 Long Rifle ammo in a .22 Magnum revolver cylinder, which is guaranteed to give you gas and brass problems.  The possibilities aren't endless, but I am sure there are many other combinations a shooter could find to get hurt with the wrong ammo.  Anyhow, pay close attention to your ammo, and be careful out there.

1 comment:

Guffaw in AZ said...

I touched off a 38 Super in a .45 ACP 1911, after picking up the wrong magazine.
Fortunately, no damage to anything or me.
Sure sounded weird.