Thursday, November 10, 2011

Marines 236 Years Today

The Charlotte Observer ran a story on a Marine who earned The Medal Of Honor on Iwo Jima (Hat Tip to the Freeholder), and it's one I have to pass on.  As I read about Mr. Williams I noted that he was in the Third Marine Division, and was further surprised to learn that he was in the 21st Regiment; my father-in-law's regiment.  O.T. didn't say very much about the battles he was in, but he did tell us about using gasoline and flamethrowers on Iwo.  It was rough business.  I showed the story to a friend, and he told me that Mr. Williams had been featured on the TV show Sons Of Guns.  I did a search, and sure enough a couple of clips are available on Hulu.  Click Here, and Here to see them.  You do have to watch a brief ad at the beginning of each clip, but it's well worth it.

No comments: