Thursday, October 27, 2011

See The Sig Sauer Samples!


Sig-Sauer sent five guns to Reno for the Gun Blogger Rendezvous attendees to sample:  P226 Extreme in .40 S & W, Sig 522 Commando, Sig 1911-22, Sig P220 Diamond Plate in .45 Auto, and a 1911 Ultra Compact in .45 Auto.

The 1911-22 was getting plenty of attention, and it's the model that sort of grabbed my heart.  The Sig rep loaded Stingers in magazines as long as I wanted to shoot this beauty, and others were lining up to do the same.  It has a great trigger, just as you would expect of a gun with the Sig logo, and it never missed a beat all day.  It comes standard with an ambidextrous safety, and it is available at retailers for around $400.  This 1911 would be a great companion for your .45 to make practice more affordable. 


 


The Sig 522 Commando was at one of our steel stages, and everyone enjoyed double-tapping steel plates with it. The last shooter in the video is Molly, shooting the P226 Extreme in .40 S & W. You read all kinds of opinions on recoil in the various guns and calibers, and it was educational to watch Molly shoot. She probably doesn't weigh 100 pounds, but she handles what most would classify as "Snappy" recoil with no problem, bringing the gun back onto the target to shoot again without hesitation.  Proper stance, strong grip, good training, and lots of practice could work wonders for all of us.

4 comments:

Home on the Range said...

I love my P220 in .45. Outside of some home loads with truncated (spelling?) cones that it just did NOT like, I've never had a misfire with it and I've probably put 10,000 rounds through her.

It's easy to clean as well. I remember a call once to Robert and Tam. I'm sniffing, trying not to cry and they hear my quivering voice and say "you took your Mark III apart to clean it and now you're trying to get it together again" and I say "sniff - I'm SUCH a fool!"

The Sig is bulky but it's what I carry when I go into the city.

David aka True Blue Sam said...

One of my landowners had me shooting his guns recently, and I was amazed at how well I shot the Sig in .45. Darn nice trigger!

I watched Zeke tear down and reassemble Mk III's, read the directions a few times, and can now do it without referring to the book. You do have to think throughout the whole process, and if the hammer link misses the top of the mainspring you will be pulling that out again.

Zeke, Mom, and I have found that Velocitors blow chunks of metal around in the Mk III, which like to stick in the extractor. It will not run when that occurs, and the cartridges get bent when the bolt closes. No problem with CCI Mini Mags, just the Velocitors, so I guess we will use them as revolver loads. We keep having failures to fire with Golden Bullets, and I guess that is good for practice in clearing malfs.

AllenF said...

Golden Bullets won't run in anything for me (22/45, 10/22, P22, M&P15-22).

Eventually, the annoyance of a 1 in 10 malf rate overrides any practice benefits.

David aka True Blue Sam said...

You got that right! Bea and I just got back from Ace Hardware where we loaded up on Mini Mags.