Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Studebaker Wagon

Our friend Duane, at Boonville, Indiana (Star of the Fairbanks engine videos.) showed a couple of nice old Studebakers this year. This 1957 wagon is extremely rare, and in very good original condition. It has the 289 V-8 engine.

The dashboard was a treat to behold. The switches are off in the middle, and up or down for high and low. The 1958 Studebaker Hawk I had long ago had the same type of switches. Just under the dashboard left of the steering wheel you can see the lockout for the overdrive. When I bought my Hawk, the first gear had been ripped out of the tranny, so I ordered a used one from Warshawsky in Chicago.. It was delivered by Railway Express, but the overdrive unit was shorter than the unit on my car. I learned how to disassemble a standard transmission, and overdrive unit, and put them back together so I could have wheels. My Hawk had a 4-barrel carburetor, and that made the engine more powerful than the drive train was engineered. If you floored it in high gear it would slip the 10-inch clutch. I guess that was OK, because it kept me from abusing my little hot rod. Anyway, it was good to see a vintage Studebaker that wasn't rusted out; they were bad about that.

No comments: