Thursday, June 18, 2009

That's "A" Nice Ride!

It is pretty obvious to readers of this blog that I like old cars. I appreciate show pieces, but I really am drawn to cars that are driven. This Model A stood out as a car that the owner loves, but is not afraid to drive.

The car suddenly appears to have an interesting personality when viewed from the passenger side. .50 caliber ammo can tool box, Oil Filter!, Headers?

While I admired and took photos the owner came over. He was a very nice gentleman, a career army veteran who has seen the elephant more than once. He bought this car for $25.00 in 1951 and has driven it ever since. He is from Indiana, and used to drive it back and forth from his home to Albuquerque when he was stationed there. The engine is a rebuilt A power plant with pressurized oil system, insert bearings instead of the original babbit bearings, twelve volt alternator, headers, and a Chevy downdraft carburetor. It will go 70, but he runs 55 to 60, which is pretty darn good. I didn't ask, but I bet he prefers .45 autos to 9mm's, and M 14's to black rifles.


No comments: